Thursday, August 28, 2014

Aural Skills

So I may really really like my aural skills professor.
He puts aural skills into a real life setting. For those of you who don't know, aural skills is a sight singing, rhythm, listen and write the music down kind of class. I normally don't like it very much. I find it kinda pointless. I understand its place in life and why a music major should know it yes, but it just isn't my thing.
So my new professor puts it into perspective. He doesn't care if we are the master of solfege or dictation. He doesn't care if we still can't look at a piece of music and have no idea what the solfege is past the first three notes. He even admitted that he too would love to blow up movable do send it to another country get it back just to blow it up again. We can get along! I have the same feelings. So what if I can't solfege. I am an instrumentalist, when my neck is behaving, we don't talk solfege that is left for choir people. He also doesn't like clapping either. This made me happy too. I have had to clap rhythms out since middle school. I am use to it, really I am. This doesn't mean I am any good at it though. I have a thing that is some how delayed between my hands and my eyes or something. I feel like I hesitate or something, but it never turns out the way I want it to. He has a verbal system he uses. I like this so much more. It is just abstract sounds, and yes you have to learn them, but it is so much easier for me than the clapping, or even the verbal counting I did in middle and high school. He even mentioned that certain cultures have a harder time clapping, the concept is so abstract to them. He said today that this is the last aural skills. There is no one that I have to pass you to that I want to impress. If you haven't learned it by now, if it hasn't clicked, it isn't going to! His big thing is being able to teach. He wants us to be able to teach a child rhythm and how to sight read music. This I can understand. I can teach, I love to teach. It put it in perspective for me. It gave me a motivation to try. He is taking the dreaded class and making it something fun. He lets us move to the rhythm walk around the room, dance, and stomp. He lets us play percussion instruments. He is letting us sight read real music like Gregorian chants. He is letting us ask why chords progress the way they do. He doesn't say it is what it is or that is just the rules, he actually explains it. This is something I can actually see worth my time. It is no longer a class that I dread. It isn't a sit down learn this. Learn slofege something that an instrumentalist almost never use. It isn't attempt to clap this rhythm, which half of you won't be able to actually clap out correctly. I like this. Even if I am not a music ed major, I can still teach private lessons eventually, or use it with my own children. This class is finally something I will actually use now.

No comments:

Post a Comment